Mission Statement and Goals
Dietetic Internship at Southern Regional
The Dietetic Internship Program at Southern Regional Medical Center will
prepare you academically and professionally to integrate, apply and practice
theoretical knowledge. This knowledge will allow you to provide quality
nutritional care in a cost-effective manner and pursue innovation both
in the work place and professional associations.
Upon completion of the program, you will be eligible to take the registration
examination for dietitians and follow the Standards of Practice set forth
by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. After completing the program,
you will be prepared professionally for entry-level dietitian positions
in the areas of community, clinical and management.
You will be competent, professional and motivated to advance in the field
of nutrition through practice and demonstration of patient care and the
pursuit of outcomes-based research. Southern Regional Medical Center also
provides interns the opportunity to share nutrition awareness with community members.
The program is accredited for an enrollment of twelve interns annually
and provides a medical nutrition therapy concentration.
The Dietetic Internship at Southern Regionalwill prepare graduates to be competent entry-level dietitians.
- Graduates will achieve over a five-year period a "first-time"
pass rate of 80% on the RD exam.
- The mean rating that employers give program graduates in their employment
will meet or exceed a rating of "3" (average performance; satisfies
- The mean rating of self evaluations completed by graduates will meet or
exceed a rating of "3" (average performance; satisfies general
- All graduates pursuing continuing education or advance credentialing will
be successful. When evaluated by preceptors interns will achieve a rating
of "meets expectations" or "satisfactory" or better.
- When evaluated by interns, preceptors will achieve a rating of "2"
(satisfactory) or better.
- When evaluated by interns, rotations will achieve a rating of "2"
(satisfactory) or better.
Through encouragement, motivation and support, program staff will ensure
interns complete the internship.
- One hundred percent of the interns beginning the internship will complete
the internship within 150% of the time planned for completion. (Internship
is typically completed in nine months, therefore 150% = 13.5 months).
- Graduates indicate on survey that preceptors and staff were supportive
and encouraged completion of internship
The program will prepare interns to participate in professional organizations.
- When surveyed, 75% of the graduates will indicate they are involved in
a professional organization.
- During the internship, interns will attend one or more professional meetings.
The program will prepare interns to participate in community activities.
- When surveyed, 50% of the graduates will indicate that they participate
in community activities.
- All interns will participate in community service activities during the