Nutrition at Southern Regional
At Southern Regional Medical Center, our food and nutrition department
provides both inpatient and outpatient services.
Southern Regional Medical Center provides outpatients, individual counseling.
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
In addition, outpatient classes are available, including courses on:
- Weight loss
- Diabetes self-management
- Body fat analysis
List of Services
The following is a detailed list of our services.
- Provide high quality, nourishing meals to patients according to their prescribed
- Perform an initial nutritional screening process of new admissions to identify
patients at nutrition risk.
- Complete a timely nutritional assessment with a plan for appropriate nutritional
therapy on all patients determined to be at nutritional risk. Frequency
of reassessment occurs depending on the complexity and degree of nutritional risk.
- Provide enteral or parenteral nutrition to patients who are not able to
take nutrients by mouth based on the assessment of their nutritional status
- Provide patients and/or family members with nutrition education regarding
their prescribed diet and according to their assessed needs, abilities,
primary language and readiness to learn, as appropriate.
- Monitor the effectiveness and appropriateness of patient nutritional care
and participate in interdisciplinary patient care rounds/continuum of
care in order to integrate nutritional care with other disciplinary areas.
- Offer specialized care and education for patients with diabetes through
our diabetes center.
- Provide nutrition education to the community.
Offer nutrition education opportunities for dietetic interns through our
Dietetic Internship Program.