What to Expect the Day Before Surgery at Southern Regional Medical Center
Preparing for Surgery
On the day before your procedure, it is important to begin preparing your
body for surgery. Our medical team has specific instructions on how you
can get ready.
Here are some guidelines on to follow the day before surgery.
- Eat only light meals the day before your operation.
- No food or drinks after midnight the night before surgery. (This includes
gum, water, candy and cigarettes.)
- Try to avoid consuming any alcoholic beverages 24 hours before your surgery.
- Take only the medications you have been specifically instructed to take
with a small sip of water the morning of your surgery.
- Attempt to empty your bowels before surgery in order to avoid constipation
Remind your family and friends that you will be in surgery for about two
hours and in the recovery room for about two hours after surgery.