Procedure Name: Barium Swallow (Esophagram)
Department Responsible for performing Procedure:
Department Contact Information:
Where to Report:
Please enter at the Outpatient Entrance and go to Outpatient Registration
45 minutes prior to your scheduled procedure. You will be directed to
the Radiology Department.
What to Bring:
- Physician Order
- Any forms from your physician relating to this visit
- Your insurance / Medicaid / Medicare card
- Driver's License / Photo Identification
- List of current medications along with the dosages and times taken,
including over-the-counter drugs and herbals
- A list of all of your allergies
- Please check with your insurance carrier for any authorization requirements
- Any films or reports from relevant studies not performed at Southern Regional
- Nothing to eat, drink, or smoke 10 hours before examination.
- Please follow any other specific instructions given to you by your doctor.
- Please read the Procedure Information for additional instructions and
- Post Procedure: Drink plenty of fluids for 24 hours following this exam.
The Esophagram or Barium Swallow is an exam where you will be instructed
to drink a thick liquid called barium. This allows the Radiologist to
study the function and appearance of the esophagus and assess the swallowing process.
None Currently Available