Procedure Name: Breast Ultrasound
Department Responsible for performing Procedure:
Department Contact Information:
Where to Report:
This exam can be scheduled in the Women's Life Center or in the main
hospital at SRMC. If in the main hospital: Please enter using the outpatient
Entrance and go to Outpatient registration 30-45 minutes prior to your
appointment. You will be directed to the Radiology Department, from which
you will be escorted to Ultrasound. If in Women's Life Center: Enter
through the Women's Life Center entrance and go to the Terrace level.
Plan to arrive at least 30-45 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
Even if you have recently been hospitalized, you must register.
What to Bring:
- Physician Order
- Any forms from your physician relating to this visit
- Your insurance / Medicaid / Medicare card
- Driver's License / Photo Identification
- List of current medications along with the dosages and times taken,
including over-the-counter drugs and herbals
- A list of all of your allergies
- Please check with your insurance carrier for any authorization requirements.
- Any films or reports from relevant studies not performed at Southern Regional.
- Unless your physician tells you otherwise, there is no special preparation needed.
- Please read the Procedure Information for additional instructions and
- Please follow any other specific instructions given to you by your doctor.
Ultrasound is the use of sound waves to create a picture of the area being
examined. For Breast Ultrasound, it is usually used following a mammogram
and can distinguish the difference between a solid and liquid mass.
You will be asked to remove all clothing and jewelry from the waist up.
You will lie down on an examining table. The ultrasound technologist will
place lubricating gel on your breast. The technologist will run the ultrasound
probe over the breast and take images of the area of concern. Afterwards,
the technologist will wipe the gel off your skin and your ultrasound will
The doctor's office or the patient may schedule appointments. You
must have this sheet or a written order from your doctor with his/her
signature in order to schedule or have an exam done. To schedule an appointment
you may call 770-991-8144 (Centralized Scheduling). Hours: Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Please be aware that if you are not on time or properly
prepped for your exam that you may be rescheduled for the next available
appointment. You will also need to bring any films/images and reports
from your most recent mammogram with you to this appointment if it was
not performed at Southern Regional Medical Center or Spivey Station.