Procedure Name: Thyroid Scan only using Tc-99m
Department Responsible for performing Procedure:
Department Contact Information:
Where to Report:
Please enter at the Outpatient Entrance and go to Outpatient Registration
45 minutes prior to your scheduled procedure. You will be directed to
the Radiology Department.
What to Bring:
- Physician Order
- Any forms from your physician relating to this visit
- Your insurance / Medicaid / Medicare card
- Driver's License / Photo Identification
- All of your medications OR a listing of all medications along with the
dose, how often you take it, and the last time you took it
- A list of all of your allergies
- Please check with your insurance carrier for any authorization requirements.
- Any films or reports from relevant studies not performed at Southern Regional.
- May be done Monday - Friday.
- You must be off thyroid medication for at least 2-8 weeks depending
on type of medication. Please clarify with your doctor.
- You will need to fill out a Thyroid History sheet.
- Please read the Procedure Information for additional instructions and
- Please follow any other specific instructions given to you by your doctor.
You will be given a radioactive Iodine capsule to swallow. Images will
be taken 15-30 minutes post injection of a radioactive material. Imaging
time is approximately 1 hour.
Waiting Room for family is located in the Radiology Department. Please
inform the technologist if you are pregnant prior to the scan. You will
be asked a series of questions regarding your medical history.
Specific Form(s) to remember:
Thyroid History Sheet