Procedure Name: Outpatient Surgery - Day of Surgery
Department Responsible for performing Procedure:
Department Contact Information:
Where to Report:
Outpatient surgery patients should report to the Surgery Center Registration for both pre-testing and surgery. Please park in the front parking lot near the Education Entrance and enter through the Education Entrance. The Surgery Center will be to your left. If you are coming in after 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday or on a weekend report to the Main admissions department, entering through the Main Entrance.
What to Bring:
- Physician Order
- Any forms from your physician relating to this visit
- Your insurance / Medicaid / Medicare card
- Driver's License / Photo Identification
- List of current medications along with the dosages and times taken, including over-the-counter drugs and herbals
- Please check with your insurance carrier for any authorization requirements.
- Make proper arrangements to have another responsible adult accompany you to the hospital and drive you back home. You must not drive a vehicle for 24 hours after anesthesia.
- Do not take any food or fluids (not even water or coffee) after midnight the night before your surgery. You may brush your teeth, just don't swallow any water. A small sip of water is permitted in order to take any pre-operative medications ordered by your surgeon or anesthesiologist. If you take medication for your blood pressure you may take it with a sip of water the morning of surgery.
- Notify your surgeon of any changes in your physical condition, such as cold, fever or sore throat.
- Do not wear any makeup, nail polish, or jewelry to the hospital. If you have artificial nails you must remove polish from each index finger. Wear loose comfortable clothing. Do not bring valuables (money, credit cards, jewelry) with you.
- If you wear contact lens or eye glasses, please bring a case with you to protect them during surgery.
- After your operation you should not ingest any alcohol or make any important business or personal decisions for at least 24 hours.
- Parent or legal guardian must accompany children under the age of 18.
- Please follow any other specific instructions given to you by your surgeon.
- Please read the Procedure Information for additional instructions and information.
You will be asked to be here at the hospital approximately 1 1/2 hours before your expected surgery time. During this time we have you change clothes, start your intravenous fluids, give any medications ordered by your physicians, and double check everything to ensure you are ready for surgery. While you are in surgery, please have your family remain in the lobby until your surgeon or the recovery room representative contacts them. If they must leave, there is a ‘sign out' sheet at the desk. After surgery you will be in the Recovery Room for 30-60 minutes. When you are awake and your vital signs are stable you will be taken to our Phase 2 Unit. Here your family/friends will be able to sit with you until you are able to go home. You can expect to be here anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 or 4 hours, depending upon the type of surgery, your surgeon's specific orders and how well you are feeling after your surgery. Some patients are required to urinate before going home. Before leaving, your nurse will give you written instructions that may include: prescriptions to fill, information on how to care for your incision, dietary restrictions and when to schedule follow up visits with your physician. If you are to be admitted overnight, the recovery staff will notify your family of your room number. You will be taken there following your Recovery Room stay.
What about my family and friends? Family and friends are welcome to accompany you to the Pre-operative Unit. However, we ask that visitation be kept to one visitor for adults and two for children. Family/friends may alternate visiting with you. Please do not bring valuables to the hospital.
Specific Form(s) to remember:
Pre-operative Instruction Form