Procedure Name: Pediatric Surgery - Pre-Testing
Department Responsible for performing Procedure:
Department Contact Information:
Where to Report:
Outpatient surgery patients should report to the Surgery Center Registration for both pre-testing and surgery. Please park in the front parking lot near the Education Entrance and enter through the Education Entrance. The Surgery Center will be to your left. If you are coming in after 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday or on a weekend report to the Main admissions department, entering through the Main Entrance.
What to Bring:
- Physician Order
- Any forms from your physician relating to this visit
- Your insurance / Medicaid / Medicare card
- Driver's License / Photo Identification
- List of current medications along with the dosages and times taken, including over-the-counter drugs and herbals
- Please check with your insurance carrier for any authorization requirements.
- Make proper arrangements to have another responsible adult accompany you to the hospital and drive you back home. You must not drive a vehicle for 24 hours after anesthesia.
- Do not take any food or fluids (not even water or coffee) after midnight the night before your surgery. You may brush your teeth, just don't swallow any water. A small sip of water is permitted in order to take any pre-operative medications ordered by your surgeon or anesthesiologist. If you take medication for your blood pressure you may take it with a sip of water the morning of surgery.
- Notify your surgeon of any changes in your physical condition, such as cold, fever or sore throat.
- Do not wear any makeup, nail polish, or jewelry to the hospital. If you have artificial nails you must remove polish from each index finger. Wear loose comfortable clothing. Do not bring valuables (money, credit cards, jewelry) with you.
- If you wear contact lens or eye glasses, please bring a case with you to protect them during surgery.
- After your operation you should not ingest any alcohol or make any important business or personal decisions for at least 24 hours.
- Parent or legal guardian must accompany children under the age of 18.
- Please follow any other specific instructions given to you by your surgeon.
- Please read the Procedure Information for additional instructions and information.
Your physician's office will schedule an appointment for your child's pre-testing at the time they schedule the surgery. During this time your child will be registered, vital signs and medical history are taken and the patient meets with a member of our anesthesia team. Lab work, chest x-rays and an EKG may be done if ordered by your physician. Pre-testing should be done 3-7 days prior to your child's surgery, especially if he/she has pre-existing medical problems. If the physician's office has not scheduled your child's pre-testing appointment, please call (770) 991-8144 to schedule one. Unscheduled or walk-in pre-testing patients are taken as space is available. Surgical pre-assessment appointments are from 7:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
Registration at the hospital will go more smoothly if you call the phone number on your insurance card, to arrange any necessary pre-certification, as soon as you are scheduled for surgery. A parent or legal guardian must accompany any children under the age of 18. To schedule or change a pre-testing appointment, please call (770) 991-8144. Unscheduled or "walk-in" patients are seen, as space is available. Confirmation of surgery time is available at (770) 991-8495 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. the day before surgery (Monday-Friday). We attempt to call all patients, but you may also call us. Please allow 2 hours for the pre-testing process. It includes: (1) Hospital registration; (2) Any blood work, EKG, or X-rays ordered by your physician; (3) Interviews with our pre-testing nurse; (4) Interview with a member of the Anesthesia Department.
Specific Form(s) to remember:
Pre-operative Instruction Form