Procedure Name: Sentinel Node, Breast Cancer
Department Responsible for performing Procedure:
Department Contact Information:
Where to Report:
Please enter at the Surgery Center Entrance for registration 4 hours prior to your scheduled surgery. You will be taken to the Radiology Department at the appropriate time.
What to Bring:
- Physician Order
- Any forms from your physician relating to this visit
- Your insurance / Medicaid / Medicare card
- Driver's License / Photo Identification
- List of current medications along with the dosages and times taken, including over-the-counter drugs and herbals
- A list of all of your allergies
- Please check with your insurance carrier for any authorization requirements.
- Any films or reports from relevant studies not performed at Southern Regional.
- Follow surgical instructions given by surgeon.
- Please read the Procedure Information for additional instructions and information.
- Please follow any other specific instructions given to you by your doctor.
The Pre-op nurse will notify Nuclear Medicine of your arrival to the hospital. You will be taken to Nuclear Medicine for your injection of the radioactive material at least 3 hours prior to surgery. The material will be injected into the skin around the tumor of the affected breast. This injection can be a bit uncomfortable depending on the location of the tumor. The injection is usually given by one of the surgeons in the group you have chosen. If the physician has ordered images to be taken after the injection, the technologist will take them immediately following the injection for at least one-hour. The patient will then be taken back to Pre-op to be prepared for surgery. Nuclear Medicine will take a probe to surgery which enables the surgeon to better locate and remove the breast tumor and any tumor cells that may have traveled to the lymphnodes (Sentinel nodes).
None Currently Available