Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
- Studies have shown that severe obesity is associated with very high risk
of health problems, early death and cancer.
- The loss of as little as 10% of excess weight has been shown to reduce
or eliminate the use of medications for associated diseases such as, hypertension,
diabetes and lipid disorders.
- Patients can get back to a regular exercise routine, which can further
- Sleep apnea and shortness of breath can be reduced or eliminated.
- Improved self-esteem and establishing a new healthier lifestyle can be
the end result.
Surgery for severe obesity is a major operation in which complications
can arise when performed by a laparoscopic technique. Overall risk of
- 5% of patients have a risk of a complication related to the surgery
- Less than 1% risk of death
Other than the known risk of anesthesia and any major abdominal surgery
the specific problems which have been reported include:
- Infection secondary to leakage from the stomach or intestine
- Bleeding or injury to the spleen
- GI tract obstruction secondary to adhesions scarring or strictures
- Malnutrition or anemia
- Chronic vomiting or diarrhea