How do I Prepare for My Sleep Study?
If you are scheduled to have a test or procedure, you may have some questions
about what to do to prepare. Below are some questions and answers on how
to best prepare for your sleep study in our Center.
What should I do the day of the test?
We ask that all patients shower and shampoo their hair before arriving
at the lab. Do not apply oil, hair spray, or heavy conditioners to your
hair. If you are scheduled for an overnight sleep study, we ask that you
remain awake all day on the day of the test - please do not nap on the
test day. Limit caffeine intake on the day of your sleep study. Please
eat supper before reporting to the lab. Also, please take any prescribed
medication normally unless instructed otherwise.
What do I need to bring with me if I am scheduled for a sleep study?
- Use this checklist to assemble the items you will need to bring to the
sleep center. We will provide all bedding including sheets, blankets,
- Lightweight pajamas or comfortable sleepwear of your choice
- Favorite pillow, blanket, etc. (Teddy bears are allowed!)
- Toiletries: comb, hairbrush, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, and shaving items
- Clothes for the next day
- Any needed medications – lab personnel cannot supply or administer
- Book, magazine, or any other reading or work-related material.
- Driver’s License/Photo I.D. and Insurance Card
- Please do not bring any valuables with you on the evening of your sleep study.
Can I shower at the sleep center before I leave?
Yes. Our facility has private bathrooms with showers.